Do you know when your opportunity is going to show up? For most people, the answer is of course not. Since you have no idea when an opportunity is going to reveal itself, how can you be ready for it?
This is one of the areas athletes and performers are great at because they put in so much work ahead of time – most of which is never seen. They practice and practice. They do after action reviews by looking at game film or reviewing practice sessions. They break down all the things which were done correctly. They look for all the ways what they are doing could be better. They go back out and practice while implementing the changes they wanted to make to improve.
When their opportunity comes in their sporting event or their performance, they are ready. They have practiced their skills and actions so often, they happen automatically. They have become unconsciously competent in their chosen area of expertise. They hit the big shot with time winding down or give a memorable performance which others are talking about for years to come.
Their key was the preparation – all they did when no one else was watching to be able to excel when the opportunity came up.
What have you done in your business and life to be ready when your opportunity shows up? What could you do more of or a better job of to ensure you succeed when your opportunity arrives?
Here are some questions to begin stepping your game up to be ready when the next opportunity does knock:
- What is going on in your industry today?
- Do you know what your prospective clients want and why your prospective clients will be searching for you?
- Do you know what your product or service does better than anybody else?
- Do you know where your competitor’s are weak where you are strong?
- Do you stay on top of the latest trends in your industry and focus on how to stay in front of them?
- Do you study the sales process?
- What new ways are you able to reach prospects?
- Which ways do they want to be reached?
- What can you do more of or better to position yourself better?
- What networking functions are important to attend for your visibility and success?
- Would publishing a book in your area of expertise help your positioning?
- What joint ventures could you do to create more for yourself and the other company?
Answering these questions are just some of the many ways to prepare yourself for your next opportunity. Brainstorm a list of what else you can do now to be ready to capitalize on your next opportunity. Then create the action steps to consistently implement these new ideas into your life today. When you prepare like a champion, you will succeed when your opportunity arises.
Breaking Your Chains!
P.S. To receive daily Paul’s Pick Me Ups along with other expert trainings and question and answer times with me, check out how to become a Chain Breakers Club Member today by clicking here.